How to Save Your Skin from Winter Dryness
Winter dryness is tough on the skin. The cold air, the indoor heat, all contribute to making your skin dry. If you don’t take care of your skin you can end up with chapped lips, wind burn, flaking and itching.
So how do we save our skin from the winter blues? In this article we are going to share some tips on keeping your skin smooth and supple during the cold, dark days of the winter months.
1. Skip the Hot ShowersA hot shower feels great, but it sucks the moisture out of your skin. Stick to washing up in warm water to save your skin from dryness. Slather yourself in a high quality body oil or a thick moisturizer after your shower to replenish any lost moisture.
2. Use a Humidifier
A humidifier in your bedroom is one of the best things you can do for winter dryness. A humidifier will increase the amount of water in the air around you. Sleep near it at night and wake up to hydrated skin.
3. Use a Lip BalmNever be without lip balm. Apply it even when you don’t feel like you need it. Always apply it before you go outside. Have a lip balm in your purse, in your car, at work and at home. If you keep your lips protected they won’t get chapped. Also, avoid licking your lips, it will only make chapping worse.
4. Drink Plenty of Water
Moisturize your skin from the inside by making sure you drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day. If you are like me and drinking water makes you chilled, try some non-caffeinated tea.
5. ExfoliateUsing an exfoliate before you moisturize will get rid of dead skin cells and allow your skin to soak up more moisturizer. If you are using a loofah or anything else that is abrasive, remember to be gentle, you only need to use soft, gentle motions. A chemical exfoliate such as salicylic acid will do the work on its own with no need for scrubbing.
6. Keep a Bottle of Hand Cream in your PurseMoisturizing your hands whenever they are feeling a bit dry will help them from getting cracked.
7. Use Vaseline
I know it is not a natural product, but it works. If you are going to be outside for a long period of time, apply vaseline to any exposed skin. It will prevent it from getting dry.
8. Use a SunscreenSnow bounces 80% of the sun’s rays back to us, as opposed to the 20% that sand and water bounce back to us in the summer. That is why it is important to protect your skin from the sun, even in winter. Wear a moisturizing SPF product of at least SPF 15 every time you are going to be outside will prevent sun damage and dryness.
9. Dress WarmMaking sure your skin is covered up will help keep it from drying out. Make sure you wear gloves on your hands and wrap your face in a scarf.
10. Eat Healthy Fats
Make sure you are getting lots of omega 3 fatty acids in your diet. These fatty acids make up your skin’s natural moisture barrier, so you want to be sure you have enough of them. A lack of these fatty acids will contribute to winter dryness and flaky skin.Some of the best foods for clear skin are flax, walnuts, and safflower oil, as well as cold-water fish such as tuna, herring, halibut, salmon, sardines, and mackerel are high in omega 3’s.
11. Choose your Cleanser WiselyUse a gentle and mild cleanser in the winter. You want something that isn’t going to strip your face of its natural oils.
12. Use Different ProductsWinter skin care differs from summer skin care, so switch up your products. Look for richer, thicker creams. Use heavier oils such as marula or avocado. Instead of only moisturizing 1 - 2 times a day, use your moisturizer 3 - 4 times a day.
13. Moisturize While your Skin is Still DampAfter cleansing, tap your skin with your towel but leave a bit of water on your skin. Apply your moisturizer to this damp skin to seal in the water. Instead of using a thin, light moisturizer like you would use in the summer, look for a thick, rich moisturizer that will trap in water.
It is easier to prevent winter skin dryness than it is to treat it. If you take the above precautions, you should be able to save your skin from winter dryness. Make sure to moisturize even if you don’t feel like you need it and take special care of the delicate parts of your body such as your lips and your hands.