FREE Shipping on all U.S. orders

Organic Cosmetics

The term “organic” is not specifically defined when it comes to cosmetics and skin care products. However, when skin care products contain agricultural ingredients, the term “organic” is regulated by the USDA through its National Organic Program (NOP). Different labels are used on organic cosmetic and body care products to inform consumers of the general production and ingredients of these products.

Labeling Organic Cosmetics

You have probably seen the labels, but haven’t quite understood what each label meant. Let us help you understand these different labels a little better.

“100 percent organic” is a label used on products that contain only organically produced ingredients. These products will have the USDA Organic Seal.

“Organic” is a label found on products that contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients. The other 5% of the ingredients are either non-agricultural or are not commercially available in organic form, but is approved on the National List. These products can also have the USDA Organic Seal.

Made with organic ingredients” is used on products that contain at least 70% organic ingredients. The product label must list up to three of the organic ingredients contained in the product. Products with this label do not have the USDA Organic Seal of approval.

Any cosmetic or body care products that contain less than 70% organic ingredients are not allowed to use the term “organic” in their labeling.

Benefits of Organic Cosmetics

As with all organic products, the benefits differ with each individual. But here are a few common benefits you may experience when using organic cosmetics:

  • Organic cosmetics typically exclude harsh chemicals that could be problematic for those with sensitive skin and instead use more natural ingredients.
  • Organic cosmetics often contain natural ingredients that help with wrinkles, skin spots, acne scars, and dark circles under the eyes.
  • Most organic cosmetics use essential nutrients, natural minerals and cancer fighting antioxidants in their ingredients.
  • Organically grown ingredients typically cause less, if any, side-effects like excessive dryness or various health risks.